Sunday, July 29, 2012

End of Freshman Year

May 10, 2002

Time to Reminisce... The tub has been scrubbed and the dust bunnies have been exterminated. As I sit here in my dorm room which is now almost completely bare, I realize how much of a prison cell it looks like without my decor. Just kidding; it's not that bad. No but seriously, I can't believe this is my last night here, sleeping on my bed that is raised up oh-so-high. I had my last bubble tea tonight for the time being as well. There are so many things I can't believe, but mostly the fact that my freshman year of college is over. Where has the time gone? Before coming here, I had no idea that time could fly by so quickly. It seems like only yesterday that it was that Sunday morning in August, as Dorothy and I moved into our room, with our families making several trips up and down the steps to get everything in. And now, we've just spent a couple hours packing it all up and cleaning.

I've learned so much this year, not just the academic stuff, but about myself and people in general. I don't think my personality has necessarily changed, but I've become more "aware" as Diana put it. I think she's right-the people, the places, the situations, the dangers, and other realities of life. I've pretty much become accustomed to this city life. There's just so much to see and do; it's a little overwhelming sometimes. I never thought I'd be a "city girl" in college, but now that a year has passed, I'm just about there. (I still have that place in my heart for the suburban style. Yay for Paramus.) I've realized that college isn't just about continuing your academic education or in my case, learning about business; it's about learning about yourself and getting a taste of the so called "real world" with people who have come from all over the place. The sheltered life I lived before coming here has turned into an independent one. After 9/11, I was skeptical about my future here. Who knows what else could happen with the sick people that unfortunately live in this world? My parents were worried, just as I was. Living in NYC definitely makes you a target. But you know, after a lot of thought, I realized how lucky I am to be here and how great this city this can be. I made a choice to come here, and I'm going to stick with it.

*Sigh. I'm going to miss this place, although I know the summer will go by just as fast as the year did. I'll miss Dorothy, who I'm so glad agreed to be my roommate (a great one at that) to share our freshman year together-*Thanks a bunch, you're always welcome to my place at Water next year*; my friends, who always know how to put a smile on my face and show me a good time; the crazy late nights, whether I'm out having fun, or up studying-I tell ya, it's hard without coffee; the buzz of city life, Saint's Alp, the karaoke place, the convenience of my dorm being right on campus, and all the other good stuff I love about here. Heck, I'll even miss my dorm room, which has become my "second home."  And although she goes to school uptown, I feel the relationship I have with one of my best friends has definitely gotten stronger. Although we go to different schools, we are both living the "college life" in the city, and that bond makes sharing our daily lives with each other every day the more worthwhile. I've learned so much through her and her experiences, and I love and thank her for that.

There's still so much I've yet to see and do-places to go and people to meet, but I'm sure it will come in due time. And so tomorrow, rather later, since it's now technically Friday, back to suburbia.

And you know what? I'm a college sophomore.

No comments:

Post a Comment