Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Always a dream job

Honestly, I can't remember what I wanted to be when I was a little.  My guess would be a doctor?  I do remember in my middle school years thinking that maybe I would go the orthodontist route.  Come high school, where my biology classes and dissection occurred, I thought hmm, maybe not so much.

When I started to bake in college, I thought maybe owning a bakery was in my cards down the road (in my 40's).  But after having done a couple of cake orders, I prefer just baking for my loved ones.  I love photography and still do, but again, after shooting some gigs, I can't see myself doing it for a living, on a daily basis.   For me, doing something I consider a hobby too often - I'd lose the passion for it. 

Since moving into our house though, I have loved decorating and making it our own.  When we were house-hunting, we must have seen about 20+ houses when we came across our future home.  Despite the existing paint and decor not being our cup of tea, I could see beyond it.  (For example, the living room's red walls, flowered sofa, and bad lighting didn't deter me.)  Over the past 3+ years, I've slowly but surely added my touch to each of the rooms.  Most recently, our basement, which is probably our favorite room right now.   


Even with only a few rooms left to "finish," I still love looking at photos of rooms for inspiration, whether they're on Houzz, Pinterest, or on HGTV, etc.  Fave rooms to browse are living rooms and kitchens of course.  My friend, who lives in a studio in the city, asked me to give her my thoughts on how she could update, and I just went off on all the changes I would make.  I would totally be an interior designer if I could, realistically knowing that I could make just a good a living as I do now.  There are so many different types of rooms, styles, palettes of color and textures to use, as well as clients, I doubt I'd feel that repetitiveness I think I felt with the baking and photo jobs.  Maybe in a couple of years, I can start doing some side gigs with this.             

No comments:

Post a Comment