Monday, August 20, 2012

Saturday, April 22, 2006

I hate the feeling of suppressing a thought that should've come out of my mouth, with apprehension that not having done so will most likely reflect badly upon me in some angle.  I sometimes feel like I have to put on that happy face or cheer in my voice when at that particular moment I'm anything but.  I vaguely recall an essay I had to write in college about "wearing masks" and "playing parts,"  something that people in the business world often have to do in order to adapt to their surroundings and situations, whether it be with coworkers or clients.  It definitely extends beyond the workplace though to our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. 

Maybe it's not a mask per se - an identity that is not at all yours, but a facet of your personality that does exist, with you bringing it out when you see fit, even though underneath that mask, your mind and heart express something completely different.  Why is this?  I guess instinctively to put up a defense for ourselves, but at the same time, to protect those who we might hurt if we chose to disagree instead of agree, or bluntly tell the truth instead of that little white lie.  Is it a sense of selflessness?  Who knows.  We could just be watching our own backs.  In the end all parties will be affected somehow.  Maybe it's unreasonable, but that's just the way it is.  It's a horrible feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment