Tuesday, January 8, 2013

For the love of reading

I have always loved to read.  In fact, my parents blame my having to wearing glasses starting in kindergarten on the fact that I'd sneak books into my bed and read with a flashlight when I was supposed to be sleeping.  (Thank goodness LASIK fixed that problem for me.)  I've always loved fiction in particular, and have devoured books for as long as I could remember.  Those book reading contests in grade school - I won prizes for reading so much and I never looked at it as a chore or obligation, but truly something that I enjoyed doing. 

When electronic e-readers came out, I hullabaloo'd them, claiming that I was more a "nothing-like-having-a-physical-book-in-your-hand" type reader.   That all changed when I received the Kindle E-Ink Reader about two years ago as a gift.  It changed my mind in an instant - the convenience, portability, and access to books has made reading so much easier, especially on the train rides to and from work.  There are always free books on amazon.com and with Prime, free kindle lending each month.  Coupled with Nassau County's digital library, I have more books on my queue to read than I could've imagined.  Not all books are available digitally, so I will still head to our local library to borrow one if needed.

Come this past Christmas, I knew I wanted to upgrade my e-reader.  The question was Kindle Fire HD or the Nexus 7?  I did tons of googling/research and compared them in person at the store, but in the end, the benefits of being an Amazon Prime member outweighed those of the Nexus 7, as well as my preference for the shape of the Kindle HD and ability to hook it up to the TV via HDMI to watch videos, etc. on it.  I've been using it for a few weeks now, and I can definitely say I love it.  Again, the Kindle has changed my way of reading for a second time.    

     

1 comment:

  1. fancy! i still havent gotten into e-reading even though i have a nook.

    ps love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete